Cakes have long been synonymous with festivities and ceremonies. This sugary confectionary item is beloved by people of all ages. Therefore, it is a natural choice when you decide on the menu for hosting the next event. So, show your loved ones your party-planning mastery by serving the perfect offering of this dessert!
Thus, if you are wondering how much cake do I need for 50-120 guests, you will find this blog helpful. Simply put, the amount may differ based on the cake’s shape or the exact number of visitors you are entertaining. In general, a 16 inches or 17lbs cake will be a safe bet to make your gathering a rousing success.
Moreover, this blog also offers guidance about the intricacies to note before hitting the bakery or switching on your microwave. So, whether you are going for a traditional dish or an experimental one, display your trendsetting skill to the fullest!
5 Things To Keep In Mind When Choosing A Cake For 50-120 Guests
Before deciding on the amount of cake you plan to serve, please keep a note of these essential factors-
Different Kinds Of Cakes You Can Choose
One of the many reasons that cakes remain a sure-fire success mantra for a party is the diversity factor. So, when you pick up the phone to order one or step into your kitchen, consider going for one of these specialities-
- Cheese Cake: This multi-layered mouth-watering delicacy will win over every sweet tooth! Made with cream, cottage or ricotta cheese, these cakes also contain a heavy dose of sugar and eggs. If you are preparing one at home, you can add another crusted layer made out of crushed cookies for a twist!
- Pound Cake: The original recipe for these cakes contained one pound each for its four essential components – flour, butter, egg and sugar. Despite the name sticking around, you can add your unique variations to this dish. If you are making them at home, ensure that you mix all the dry compounds of the cakes followed by room temperature butter.
Chefs from prominent bakeries now add baking soda or milk to the recipe to reduce the gluten formation in the flour. This way, you get a cake with a rich texture and tender crumbs.
- Layer Cake: Often referred to as a sandwich cake, these products have several stacked sheets held together by jam and frosting. You can go with the ones covered with icings or visible layers based on your aesthetic choices.
- Chiffon Cake: The speciality of a chiffon cake lies in its use of vegetable oil in place of the traditional solid fats. Consequently, there is a fuzzy finishing in these products’ texture. Notably, the bakers separate the egg whites and yolks for these cakes to get a rich flavour.
- Butter Cake: Soda or baking powder is used for leavening this cake. As the name suggests, butter is the chief ingredient of this delicacy. Cream, sugar and eggs are also added to attain a light texture. You can use cream cheese frosting or custard for some added relish.
- Sponge Cake: These are a type of non-yeasted cake, typically made without using any leavening agent. Bakers use beaten eggs as a rising agent for these products.
The Baker’s Reputation
It is highly essential that you’re getting your cake from an established bakery. So, when you’re opting for a shop, ensure that they make their products following the industry standards. A company with high brand value has a legacy to maintain and is a dependable alternative.
In recent times, several companies have gone paperless to help environmental causes. Furthermore, hands-free and curbside pickup options are now preferred by many people. So, be certain that the baker meets your requirement.
Flavour Of The Cake
Conventional chocolate and vanilla cakes are the predominant components of sweet courses. But why stop at the set norms? Surprise your guests with unconventional pudding choices such as:
- Blueberry Flavoured: Made with blueberries and cream frosting, these cakes are a delicious addition to the lunch table. Flour, cinnamon and instant tapioca are some of the other often-used compounds for these products.
- Coffee Flavoured: Coffee cakes have emerged as the recent fad among food lovers. These are a type of multi-layered sponge cakes with coffee butter icing. Moreover, if you are looking to add your own special touch, consider using walnut seeds as part of your recipe.
- Strawberry Flavoured: Bakers use cooked strawberries to produce the distinctive flavour of these cakes. The fruits are used both in the dessert’s batter and frosting. These cakes are typically consumed cold, so they are served in a chilled or frozen state. You can also opt for these as a gluten-free alternative to conventional cakes.
- Banana Flavoured: Mashed or puréed bananas are mixed into the cake batter to produce these delicacies. These muffins and cupcakes can make your house party stand out from the others. Furthermore, this vegetarian option is also helpful if you are looking for low-fat dishes.
Whether Your Guests Are Vegans
The global vegan market is projected to be worth $24.3 billion by 2026. With more people opting for this alternative eating habit, consider your options before buying a cake. For example, if there’s a long guest list for a big-ticket ceremony, ensure whether there are vegan members. Accordingly, you can opt for delicious cakes which do not depend on eggs and dairy products.
The Occasion For Which You Need A Cake
When you are buying trendy designer cakes that are in vogue right now, ensure they perfectly match the ceremony’s mood. So, diversify your culinary choices according to the event you are hosting. Cakes are best-suited for events like-
- House Parties
- Religious Festivities
- Office Parties
- House Warming Party
- Baby Shower
- Family Get Together
- New Year Bash, etc.
It would be best if you also kept in mind –
- Dietary instructions of your guests
- Your budget range
- Theme of the event
- Shape of the cake, etc.
How Much Cake Do I Need For 50 – 120 Guests?
Based on the discussion above, it is needless to mention that you should properly plan and measure before getting a cake for your guests. Furthermore, you can refer to the table below when calculating the amount you want to order.
|For 50 People
|For 70 People
|For 100+ People
Moreover, if you are ordering a multi-tiered wedding cake, generally opting for a 12 inches product would be an informed choice for a guest list ranging from 50-120 people.
Note that the ideal weight of a cake for your above-mention visitor pool will be around 14 to 17lbs. Although it is suggested that you should always go for some extra amount as you do not want a shortage. Moreover, if there are surplus servings left, you have a delicious leftover dinner add-on to look forward to!
Tips To Follow When You Are Buying And Serving A Cake
- Always use a serrated chef’s knife to cut a cake properly
- Add waffles and chips as side dishes
- Use a cutting board or a large dinner plate
- If you are in a car with the cake, ensure the vehicle is cool during transporting
- When you are storing a cake overnight, keep it in a refrigerator
- Run the cutting knife through hot water to smoothly cut a cake
- Serve maple syrup alongside the dessert to your guests
Now you have a complete guide to jazzing up your next party and showing off why you are the best host your invitees could hope for! So, go ahead and pick up the perfect amount of cake you need for 50-120 guests without any hitch.